Monday, June 27, 2016

10 Year Reviw - Part I (The Beginning)

Mr. Sam and I will be celebrating 10 years of marriage this fall.  As a result, I'm starting to think about what we've accomplished, together, in those 10 years.

We started our financial journey together, before we got married, but January 2007 was the beginning of our effort to pay down our unsecured debt and implement a debt free life.  The journey was mostly inspired by the fact that I wanted and needed a new car, but did not want a car payment.  It was the summer of 2006 and my car, then a 1999, had hit expensive repair time.  I had made some repairs to it and it was calling for more repairs and I was fed up.  So, I was doing some internet research and I came across a Dave Ramsey article about car payments.  I read some more on Dave's web site and I later checked out one of his books from my local library and read The Total Money Makeover.  I read some other books as well like The Millionaire Next Door and others.

We were in the middle of getting ready for our wedding, so I did not have time to implement the plan.  Instead, over the December holidays of 2006 (after the wedding and honeymoon), I reread TMM and we started working the plan.  We began with Dave's baby steps which we also modified a bit as we moved forward (side note, my husband is a lapsed Catholic and I'm not religious, while Dave's books and message can be a bit preachy we just ignored those parts).

We began 2007 with a financial reckoning.   First, we combined our assets and our combined net worth was $807,539.  We were holding real estate valued at $1.27 million dollars (that changed dramatically the next year).  Our retirement savings was at $216,184.  We had the $1000 emergency fund already covered (TMM baby step one).

Second, we had a lot of debt.  We had $679,520 in mortgage debt, our primary home, three rental properties and a piece of land.  And, we had $50,946 in unsecured debt, $27,000 for Mr. Sam's student loans (MBA) and the rest credit card debt.  So, we began 2007 with TMM baby step two, pay off all debts but the mortgage.  We had added up all our debt, we had a chart showing interest rates, minimum payments and totals.  I took over paying all the bills (prior to marriage I paid our joint bills and my bills, but Mr. Sam handled his own bills).  So, we began working the debt snowball.

More on debt later, I also want to look at where we are, 10 years later, with careers, education, family life, savings, real estate, car habits, etc.

6 comments:

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs Sharon Sim said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

Patricia Carter said...

10 years is a really long time. Giving a review can be difficult.
discount jersey boys tickets
jersey boys tickets online

Suzan Baker said...

I think it has been a good run so far.
airport parking Manchester
Manchester airport cheap parking

URGENT LOAN OFFER WHATSAPP +918929509036 said...

Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us (creditloan11@gmail.com)