Thursday, August 22, 2013

FitBit Data - Update # 1

Earlier I posted about my new FitBit and improving my fitness through data.

A week or so into using the FitBit, I've determined the following.  I am averaging about 5,400 steps a day which is well below my goal of 10,000 steps per day.  On exercise days, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I obviously do better and approach 8,000 to 8,500 steps on average.  On non-exercise days (Tuesday and Thursday) I've improved a bit by watching my FitBit data, and I've moved my average step count from about 3,500 to 4,000 steps on average. Certain guidance I've found suggests a reasonable goal of improving week over week step numbers by 20%

Most surprising is my weekend step count which is dismal.  On days I have the most free time, it appears that I am stepping/moving the least.  I do know what happens, I get up and I go out to run errands (Saturday) which doesn't involve that much walking since I'm in my car.  On Sunday, I tend to either be at the office or relaxing at home.

Analyzing the tracking data from my FitBit also reveals that my activity level is color coded.  My exercise steps are coded as green, less active is orange and sedentary is red.  I can't find any information as to whqt the colors are supposed to mean, but I can guess.

I am working on setting up a TV/DVD player in the garage and I have a plan to do Zumba, which involves lots of steps, twice a week.  But, so far, I've been having technology problems.  Yesterday I had the video working but not the sound, then in trying to get the sound working I lost the video.  Mr. Sam said he would work on these issues for me today (I hope he does).

Otherwise, I need to walk Snarfle the dog when I get home each night.

No comments: