Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Free Report or Free Snoop

You may have heard that public officials, like Hillary Clinton and Vice President Biden, as well as celebs, like  Beyonce and Jay-Z, were the victims of hacking and that their personal finance information was disclosed.

Well now, it sounds like, according to this report, that some of that information came from AnnualCreditReport.com.  AnnualCreditReport.com is the site which the three credit reporting agencies set up so consumers can gain free access to their credit reports.  Scary stuff to hear that, possible, hackers were able to defeat the security features of the site (which I've had trouble answer for myself).  But, I guess, now that I think about it, if your bio details are out in the public domain someone with time and energy could probably answer the questions posed by this site.

The last time I checked my credit report was right before our refinance.  This news story reminds me that it is probably time to check again.

No comments: