(1) Max out 401k(s) - $22,588 65% (goal is $35,000)
(2) Max out IRA(s) - $11,000 100% (goal is $11,000)
(3) Add to e/r fund - $10,400 104% (goal is $10,000)
(4) Roof project - $5,000 100% (goal is $5,000)
(5) Vehicle replacement - $5,000 100% (goal is $5,000)
(6) House projects - $3,000 100% (goal is $3,000)
Total: $56,988 83% (Goal is $69,000)
So, we saved almost $57,000 in 2014. While a respectable number, we missed our goal by $12,000. Mr. Sam was not eligible for his 401k until midway through the year and that is one of the main reasons that our 401k savings number was reduced in 2014.
We did have some major expenses in 2014 that are not reflected (entirely) in our savings goals. First, a new car for Mr. Sam which was paid in part with cash. Second, a new roof for one of our properties. The roof was a savings goal, but also cost more than what we saved and we could no longer put the project off.
We also incurred some debt in 2014. Mr. Sam's new car was paid in part with cash (about 40%) and the rest is loan. Second, we added to our family in 2014 (which is why I've been away from the blog for so long). We had considerable expenses related to the conception (via IVF) and related to the nursery and birth (most covered by insurance, but a big chunk that was not). We also had a major house project prior to the baby arriving. We are working on paying down the baby debt and it will be part of our 2015 savings/debt killing plan which I am working on creating.