Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Economics and the Movies

Well, it turns out that we were the last folks in Florida renting movies from our local brick and mortar Blockbuster store.  And as such, Blockbuster has gone bust and both stores near us are now closed. 

We don't rent a whole lot of movies, normally we rent a bunch of movies for a couple of months and then we go six months or more without renting any.  I have lots of friends who are big fans of Netflix, but I am really not a fan of the recurring expenses.  I don't want to sign up for another monthly payment.  I do rent movies from my local library from time to time which is free (hooray!) but the selection is limited.  So for now we are going with Redbox which is $1 a night (plus tax), way less than Blockbuster and we won't be tied into a recurring expense.

So far the Redbox system has worked well, the only catch is getting the movies back on time to avoid an additional $1 charge. 

No comments: